Sponsored by Yank Racing About Article
Home Register Profile Private Messages Search Memberlist About
1968 Chevy Nova - 11.80 @ 114.5 - CI: 454 .030 over
Reply to topic    Outragous Engine Combinations -> BB Chevy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leadfoot68

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: 1968 Chevy Nova - 11.80 @ 114.5 - CI: 454 .030 over Reply with quote

Owner Information
  • Home Town: Cleveland
  • Primary Use: Street
  • Estimated Investment: Not much at all
  • % of Wrenching by Owner: 100%
Basic Car Information
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: Chevy
  • Model: Nova
  • Weight: ??? BBC full interior - all steel
Proven Performance Information
  • Best ET/MPH: 11.80 @ 114.5
  • Best 60´: 1.69
  • Performance Rating (5 is best): 4
  • Street Manners Rating (5 is best): 5
Gearhead Information
  • Engine CI: 454 .030 over
  • Bore:
  • Stroke:
  • Block:
  • Heads: 950 open chamber oval ports
  • Ported? (With flow numbers): 100% stock
  • Crank: Stock
  • Rods: Stock
  • Pistons & Rings: 11:1 closed chamber pistons
  • Cam & Lifters: .550 lift comp cams hyd. magnum cam
  • Intake: Torker II
  • Distributor/Ignition:
  • Headers:
  • Tran & Brake: TH-400
  • Converter: 2600 stall
  • Rear End Gear: 3.55
  • Tire Size: 28x9" slick
  • HP/TQ Number:
  • Power Adder: All motor
  • Compression & Fuel Used: Pump gas
  • Chassis Tricks:
  • Carb: 750 DP
Proof
Special Notes
  • People never believe the car ran like it did with full weight and stock "peanut port" heads. I guess all I can say is I have a combo that works pretty well for what it is, not saying it is fast by any means, but for a low budget daily driver it goes pretty well.
Advice Needed
  • Basically looking for some ET estimates for some work I've done. I gasket matched the heads/intake and put in a comp cams extreme energy .590/.598 lift solid cam and put in 4.11 gears. I'm hoping that this will be enough to get me into the low 11's. Also, if I went to a gasket matched set of closed chamber rectangle port heads how much if any would I pick up over the open chamber oval ports? Keep in mind my pistons are for closed chamber heads.

johnk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long ago I had a 427 'Vette with 4:56 gears & a similiar engine. At the time the car fit into SS/E as I recall & I ran low 11s. Grant it, I had the big heads, some suspension work & all but the cam specs were similiar (isn't that the ZL-1 cam?) & the car was heavy so my guess yours WOULD be in the 11.60-11.90 range if it hooks & it's a good day. Actually I'm piecing together a 540 with a similiar cam now & hoping for a similiar outcome.

Rat Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: E.T -est. Reply with quote

Should do pretty well!should have better mid & top end plus soften the low end some which will help a little more to get it to hook.if it were me I would step up to 3400 converter!and 850 carb,rect heads and victor jr.the torker does'nt breahte as well. still be streetable. with all said should coax 11.30's @ 118mph. work with the suspension some and you will be there. will be a Smile on your face.

Leadfoot68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: E.T -est. Reply with quote

Rat Nova wrote:
Should do pretty well!should have better mid & top end plus soften the low end some which will help a little more to get it to hook.if it were me I would step up to 3400 converter!and 850 carb,rect heads and victor jr.the torker does'nt breahte as well. still be streetable. with all said should coax 11.30's @ 118mph. work with the suspension some and you will be there. will be a Smile on your face.

i def figure the gears will liven the car up a bit, i can tell on the street that the car picked up a good bit just from the 3.55 to 4.10 change. i was planning on putting in a 3200 stall converter eventually when i get the $$$ for it (im a broke college student). thanks for the info

80'427

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would consider some ovals like the brodix race rites or maybe even some ported 049/781 I don't think your are really spinning it into rec head rpms are you?

Leadfoot68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could run ~7000 rpm with this combo but so far i have only turned 6500. the only reason i am considering switching to closed chamber rectangle is because i was thinking that it would run better with closed chamber heads since i am losing a bunch of compression with the open chambered heads due to having the closed chambered pistons. i have a set of 840 and 781 heads but im not too sure whether the 781s would benefit my car enough to change them over

80'427

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 049s and 781s will follow WAY more air than your peanut ports and with a port job will flow near or equal to what recs flow. Mine flow 325 at .650 so they can't be too bad. I spin mine to 6500+ and I don't think they are holding me back a bit. If you have them the price to use them is that much better. You could alway plane them a bit to increase the compression.

Reply to topic  
Page 1 of 1